Home Forums The World Am Bulletin Board “Un”official Poll: Tee Times vs Shotgun for 2022 Reply To: “Un”official Poll: Tee Times vs Shotgun for 2022

Tom Doughan
Participant

Tee times is my vote.

Reading through the comments, I would ask that let’s not be too eager to throw the baby out with the bath water.

The last time I was able to play in the tourney was 2017 so this year was my first experience with tee time. I hope we never go back to 4 rounds of shotgun starts. I hated getting stuck on that long par 3 or 4 for an opening hole. I understand the positive points made by proponents of the shotgun format and they are good ones (sort of) but in my opinion those are outweighed by ones favoring tee times.

Social time – I didn’t have any trouble socializing with the players grouped up waiting for their start time or after the round for those that stuck around. This is the same for both formats but granted it’s in greater numbers with shotgun.

It’s absurd trying to put 110+ golfers on a driving range and practice green designed for 10 – 15 each along with the obligatory pre-round bathroom stop that can hold no more than a very small number of users.

A few talked about pace of play. Tee times aren’t supposed to speed up play…golfers themselves are. Can any of you honestly say that a normal round of golf at your home course (or any other track for that matter) using tee times is going to take you 5 – 6 hours?

Here is my pace of play for my tourney courses both in practice and during the tourney (courtesy of Golfpad GPS tracking app). I set up my practice tee times so they were similar to those I had in the tourney:

Willbrook 3:37/ 4:53
Hackler at CCU 3:11/ 4:43
Barefoot – Love 3:51/ 5:01
Diamondback 4:01/ 5:05

Clearly tee times didn’t cause the slowdowns

There was a very good hybrid idea put forth just before tourney…tee times for 3 rounds then shotgun for round 4 to group the leaders.

Logistically, I believe that this would be relatively easy for the Committee to do since notice of this format and start time (possibly 9:00am for all flights) would be in the registration packet. It would not be necessary to pre-make individual cards for the 4th round but if the tourney decided to do it all that would need to be on them is: player name, course played, handicap and leave the rest empty. That could be done before the tourney even starts. On the eve or morning of Round 4 only e-mail a master sheet to each course detailing actual start holes and the players can learn that info upon arrival at the bag drop or cart staging area.

Just a few thoughts to add to the discussion…

Call Us at 1-800-833-8798

HTML Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com