Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    joseph healy
    Participant

up here we can nottouch flags or rake bunkersisbthat duringwvavtoo?

Tommy Briggs
    Blocked

We ae playing under the same rules here in Florida.

We cannot touch the pin and there are no rakes on the golf course.

Rick Kimbrell
    Participant

Most, if not all, of Texas is the same way. Some courses have actually put rakes back in the bunkers.
    We have every variation you can think of about the cups and the flags. Some have inverted the cups and it is almost impossible to make a putt of any length because of it hitting the metal sticking up and bouncing off. Some have pool noodles in the cups. Some are very large, some are very small. I have had 2 potential hole-in-ones bounce out in the past 2 months. Then there is the “how do you count it if the ball hits the pool noodle and does not stay in the cup on a putt”, “did it really hit the pool noodle or not”, and so on. And, the raised cups…geez…would your ball have really gone in the cup traveling at 15mph bouncing off the raised cup and going 15 feet to the side?
    If this is truly a competition…let’s play real golf.

Tommy Briggs
    Blocked

Rick I hate playing with a flag in, I hate it with a passion. However I’ll give you five to one odds the WA takes every precaution recommended by the USGA and anyone else this year, including not touching the flag.

By the way I have played over 5,000 rounds of golf and I only have 5 Hole in ones. One a month is way better than pretty good.

Rick Kimbrell
    Participant

Tommy, I only have 5 myself. Could possibly have been 7 but just the breaks with current situation.
    2 of mine came within 5 weeks of each other sandwiched between 2 hole out eagles on par 4s. Then there was a 5 year dry spell.

Terry Davis
    Participant

I just played a course here in my home state two days ago and they had a plastic sleeve attached to the pin that went down to the bottom of the cup. There was enough room for the ball to go in the hole. It had another plastic piece where all you did was use your putter and pop the top piece of plastic to get the ball out of the whole. There was no touching of the pin or reaching in the hole to retrieve your ball. It’s hard to explain on here but it was a nice set up I thought. It’s just my option of course.

Terry Davis
    Participant

It was something like on the site “Full Metal Golf” except it’s was a plastic sleeve.

Aaron Ellis
    Participant

Some of the courses in NC have started to go back to taking flags out even tho maybe against guidelines, but most have pool noodles, I’ve played probably 15 rounds in Myrtle Beach since all this and they all have pool noodles in the holes that I can recall, some dabbled with the cup upside down, but if they didn’t get it deep enough the ball just rolled over the cup, and I agree I hate leaving the stick in, even tho I’ve got more used to it!

grant johnson
    Participant

Ok, here we go…my 2 cents worth on this subject….I have been a long time participant in WA and have looked forward to playing every year….with the talk of major changes due to virus, I just want to make sure we are still going to be playing golf, or is it just an event to fill the spot and say we had one. I have signed up for the tourney after, a skin game on Sunday, plus the WA itself, so I have a lot invested in golf, motel, and all the other expenses involved and I certainly don’t want to be beating the ball off a pool noodle. I understand the concern for catching the virus (I’m 67), and none of us want that, but we also want to have some semblance of golf too. We’ve already lost the CC this year, and talk of tee times means we probably lose skin games during the week, and who knows what else will go? My feeling is leave the flags alone (do not take them out or touch them) and if someone is concerned about retrieving their ball out of the hole, give everyone a bottle of sanitizer in the gift bag and they can use it after handling the ball. If the state issues guidelines that won’t let us play “normal” golf, than please let us know before refund deadline. You’re more likely to get the virus going to restaurants than on the golf course. Can you imagine hitting a rocket across the green hitting the pool noodle and bounding 40 feet into a sand trap and getting rewarded with an eagle? No thanks. I want to play as badly as everyone, but not if it’s goofy golf. We did that at home in April and May when everyone just wanted to get out of the house, but we weren’t spending $3k to do it for a week…that’s my rant. Stay safe guys

Lee Hooper
    Participant

I have a Nickel Putter Ball Pick Up, that you can get at the PGA Superstore for $19.99 and put it on your putter. Look it up and see how it works. Its item # 1003716 and I HAVE BEEN USING ONE OF THESE FOR YEARS. They work great at getting the ball out of the cup and also save your back by not having to bend down to get your ball.

Tommy Briggs
    Blocked

Grant your comment about the pool noodle causes me to believe that maybe you are unfamiliar with its use.
    Only a small portion of it is cut and wrapped around the base of the flag so that when the ball falls into the cup it is suspended slightly so you don’t have to reach your fingers all the way down into the cup
    The ball still has to come to rest in the cup if it hits the flag and bounces out it is not considered holed

Rick Kimbrell
    Participant

Even if it doesn’t hit the flag, if the balls flies into the hole, hits the pool noodle and bounces out…not holed. Ball did not stay in the hole.

grant johnson
    Participant

Tommy, that wouldn’t be so bad if it still had to drop in the hole….the course I played on had pool noodle about a third of the way up the flag and was thick enough to keep the ball out of the hole. Almost filled the hole completely…and they just told us to hit the noodle and count it in…..another course used pvc pipe around the flagstick which didn’t allow ball in the hole…..My concern is, if the virus continues to escalate, the state might put restrictions on play if not close it completely. I know the committee is doing all they can to put on a good event, just would like to know what we are up against early enough to decide if the “guidelines” are going to prohibit play worthy of the cost and time. Also, if they remove rakes out of traps, does that mean a free drop out of them? To me, I will take normal golf and sanitize myself if I need to….thanks

Tommy Briggs
    Blocked

Grant the ball still has to “come to rest” in the hole. I have not seen any situations like you describe, where the noodle or pipe extend even to the top of the hole. In every case I have seen there is plenty of room for the ball to come to rest inside of the hole.

Regarding bunkers the courses are raking them in the morning and than you are on your own, no drops out of bunkers, remember when golf was created there were no rakes, this is how golf was originally intended to be played. I am shuffling the dirt with my feet which is all that can be asked.

This is how the last 4 tournaments I have played in have been played. I would think the WA would be played similarly.

Aaron Ellis
    Participant

As far as the pool noodles, like Tommy and others have stated, here in the south it’s just a small piece that is cut and down in the hole to keep the ball falling clean to the bottom, nothing raised or suspended, a few courses did the raised cups for a while until a better situation could come forth, that’s how the pool Noodle came up! Now there is a slight chance if you jar a ball on the fly that it could bounce out of the hole, but c’mon let’s be realistic, how many of us jar the ball on the fly on a regular basis! As far as bunkers are concerned, I’m not sure what they will do, but most leagues around here, the bunkers have been a mix of raked or not raked, but there is no taking the ball out, the option is play it as it lies, or you can foot rake and replace the ball and then play it, this is only incase you’re in some behemoth foot print cause someone wasn’t nice enough to smooth out where they dug their feet in! I’m totally fine with using the foot rake method and placing the ball if the courses decide to not use rakes!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Call Us at 1-800-833-8798

HTML Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com