Home Forums The World Am Bulletin Board Length of Rounds

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mark Mingelgreen
    Participant

I would imagine that with everyone having to putt everything out and go back to tee to re-hit if they can’t find their ball or find that it is out of bounds or in a hazard, that the rounds during the tournament take an extremely long time to complete. For those who have played in the past, how long should I expect each round to take? I will probably be playing with a 10.3 index.

jim mcdaniel
    Participant

MY BUDDY IS A 26 INDEX AND THEY TAKE 6HRS. I PLAY WITH A 12.3 AND THE LAST 2 YEARS 4.5 AND 1 ROUND AT 5 HRS.
    JIM

Jon Craig
    Participant

This is my second year 11.8 60-69. We were done before 2 every day. Even the day is rained for 8 holes at Hackler. We did hit provisionals and finished putts alot

Rick Kimbrell
    Participant

Mark, the Monday round tends to be a bit slower because everyone is “in the hunt” the first day. This will be my 30th consecutive year playing. I have seen rounds that were over 6 hours but not so much in recent years. First day, I would say to expect 5-1/2 hours. After that, 4-1/2 to 5 is about the norm. If other players in the group help watch a person’s ball, tell them if they think they need to hit a provisional, etc….the round can be sped up. The pros at the golf courses have stated that continuous putting is desired, if you can do so without impacting someone else putt. Most of the greens in MB these days are some strain of bermuda. They are much more firm than the bentgrass greens and walking in someone’s line is not a big deal as long as the greens are not soaked from rain. As always, keep reminding the group you are in that you need to keep up with the group ahead of you and not worry about the group behind you.
    Have fun, enjoy it. It is tournament golf and not a casual round where you have gimmees…so yes it does take a little longer.
    BTW…many of the pros will tell you before you go out…they expect pace of play to be 4 hours. That is typically a joke simply because you have more than one group teeing off on many holes. Every course generally has 2 flights playing on it and each flight consists of 48 players (on average).

Bob Newman
    Participant

jim, you are most fortunate as we have personally discussed. I play in a lower index(honestly can not remember what I was last year) and I have 2 rounds in just under 5 hrs and 2 right at 6 hrs long. A lot of it depends on what part of the course you start on. I do think that the local pros do not do enough monitoring Pace of Play (have not seen them on course in years). The second year I played in this event, my group was told we had 3 holes to get back into position or we would be penalized as a group. Guess what happened, we got back into position. I have no problem with 5 hr rounds, which is probably what they should be in this format, but tend to loose my patience when they go over that. I do honestly believe that the WAS staff request the local club monitor pace of play as well as a lot of other things, and the club are just too lazy to do that (have grown use to the income). This year I am coming with a different attitude–I will accept it will be 6 hours playing time on the course, will accept it will not be properly marfked, will accept the local rules will not be correct, will take my time and finish whenever.

jim mcdaniel
    Participant

Bob,
    Since when did you ever take a chill pill. I’ll believe it when i see it. We hope to see your lovely wife…and even you at the cc.
    Jim

Terry Cornelius
    Participant

Whoa! Hitting on the man’s wife right under his nose? LOL 🙂

Bob Newman
    Participant

Terry, no concern as I have checked with my wife and she said “no golfer, not even Jim, is on her short list of replacements” LMAO

Well all those Canadian Cougars had better watch out. “Rule 35” is single again and i’m all prepared to take 5 hours to play a round during the day and then another 5 hours to play around at night.

Bill Hambrick
    Participant

Yes but “Rule 35” is not 35 anymore!!!

Bill Hambrick
    Participant

Yes but “Rule 35” is not 35 anymore!!!

Bob Newman
    Participant

Harry, remember this is “tournament” play so Take enough club and putt everything out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Call Us at 1-800-833-8798

HTML Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com