Home Forums The World Am Bulletin Board POLL question – Why do you play

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Tommy Briggs
    Blocked

Let’s really put this to bed.

I played on the Hooters tour as an amateur and IF I would have had success and IF I would have earned a tour card and IF I thought I could have earned a living I would have turned professional. The Hooters tour provided a free ride to Q school finals, all expenses paid, if you finished in the top 10 in earnings. There was no real money to earn when I played and sacrificing my amateur status was not worth it unless I could make a living doing it. I played to try to earn a free ride to Q school, unfortunately I did not make it. I did get a chance to play against numerous players who went on to have success in the PGA tour. I did have some success but not a top ten year, and one year was all my wife was willing to give me and one year was all I could afford to take off from the real world. It was her or golf and like many bad decisions I have made in my lifetime, I chose my wife.

There are thousands of players who have tried to make golf their career and failed. Success in golf goes beyond great golf, it impacts your personal life, living in cheap motels, living off whatever free food you can find, is not the lifestyle many think of when they think of how professional golfers live. When I decided to chase the dream, starting out was not very glamorous, even on the PGA tour it was a struggle, There was no sponsorship money like there is today. No tv or marketing opportunities.

I would not trade what I did for anything, but it was a different game when I played and even though I don’t like him, Tiger changed the game of golf tremendously for the good, and golf owes him a great debt. I just wished he had come along 20 years earlier.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Tommy Briggs.

So the bad decision was your wife, huh? Maybe she made the bad decision? Having to listen to all your golf stories? And then it’s pretty apparent you have a short fuse. You need to learn to separate golf from reality. It’s just golf, man! Lighten up before you blow a gasket.

Bob Newman
    Participant

Tommy, I knew exactly where you were headed with your statement the moment you mentioned “my wife”: you were extremely lucky she allowed you one year. I honestly do not think you ever thought it was a bad decision. Just like I tell people “ I’ve been happily married for 19 years, and in those 44 years I’ve learned a lot”
    I play simply for the competition. I want a fair field and I think the WA does a good job of controlling the handicaps. It is nice to be in the hunt occasionally and really see how your game holds up.

Tommy Briggs
    Blocked

Bob thank you for your comments, you are right I was and extremely lucky. I talk about the sacrifices I made while I was chasing my dream which was nothing compared to the sacrifices she made so I could pursue that dream. She is my best friend and supported me like you could not imagine.

First drink is on me in August, see you

Bobby Thomas
    Participant

As Herm Edwards says, “You play to win the game”! J/K…I come down with my Dad and my oldest Son for a family trip. We play 2 rounds together on Sat and Sun and then during the week we meet back at the condo to console each other after we blow up during the week. That to me is the highlight of the trip!! I play in the WA for fun, since I don’t really have a shot at winning but enjoy the challenge and who knows what happens over 72 holes of golf! Even a broken clock is right twice a day…I just need a lot of broken clocks! See everyone soon…

Lets just say congrats to the new guys on day 1 since they have the best chance of winning the flight. If you ever noticed it’s usually the players in their first 2 years that win their division. They World Am staff have no history of these players performance in the event and as long as their handicap looks good on paper and they know how to play the handicap game by not falling into the automatic adjustment number then they have the best chance of winning.
    For those of us that have been playing for years we know that they use everything they can against us. This year I will have to play to my World Am handicap that will probably be around a 4 to 4.1 from 2 rounds last WA. Good thing I only had 1 good round. Unfortunately it cost me and another player that tied me any chance of placing because they whacked both of us for 11 shots for the week. So, no, I probably don’t have a real good chance to compete for 1st. Or maybe even to place. I’m still going to try anyways. I’m not the kind of guy that is going to back off when you have a good round going just to avoid the adjustment process. But, every year I hear of the same stuff happening like that within flights. There are some people that will do anything to win. Some they catch, some not.

That’s why we have skins games. It’s a solid week of skins. So even if you blow yourself out of it on Monday, which most of us will do, we still have something to play hard for. It keeps it interesting anyways.

Landis Courington
    Participant

Why do l play in the World Am?
    Enjoy golf
    Competitive golf
    Myrtle Beach
    Renewing acquaintances with old friends
    Meeting new friends
    Nites at the convention center
    Skins games if my flight has one

Do I want to win my flight—YES!!
    Does my world change if I don’t win my flight—-NO!!
    I Don’t worry about things I cannot control, handicaps, handicap adjustments during World Am and, most of all, SANDBAGGING!!

I post every score immediately after playing and make the proper adjustments to my score before posting.

I do believe the World Am should put a quick reference rule book in the goodie bag and the local course rules should be written and a copy placed in each cart on event day.

Good luck to everyone.

Tommy Briggs
    Blocked

I play mostly FSGA tournaments and they post your scores for you. A know quite a few people who don’t post “weekend” scores because they play a little loose with the rules. They are surprised to find out the USGA allows for “gimmies” and some other flexibility to insurs you enter all of your scores.
    I think the WA does a great job reviewing handicaps, if you know what you are looking for it is very hard to deceive the committee. The only way I know of would be to tank an entire years worth of scores to raise your handicap, but even then if you have played in the WA before they will reduce you based on previous years. So you would have to tank a couple of years to slip it by. Then if you exceed your handicap the WA will adjust you mid round. I don’t know anyone who is going to tank 2 years worth of golf for a $600 WA gift card?

The USGA is giving away 2019 rule books, I agree 1,000 percent, rule books a d rule sheets should be provided.

Bill Hambrick
    Participant

I like the competition and the compadre. This will be my 16th year and Of all the groups I have played with over the previous 15 years there have only been 3 or maybe 4 players that I have played with that I would not want to play another round with. My goal each year is to finish in the top 5 in my flt. It only took me 13 years to win my flt and the golf Gods got even with me. It was the only year that the finals have been rained out on Friday, so my tough luck. So good luck to every one this and hope for no rainouts.

Rick Kimbrell
    Participant

Mark Hancock…Find me at the CC and I will buy you a beverage. I hope you have a great tournament. It is a great event. We get to to play some great golf courses, meet new friends and most of all try our own game out in competition. Best of luck to you. Look forward to meeting you.
    For the rest of you…enjoy this!!!

Landis Courington…Hope I get to meet you also.

For those who want to beat each other up…get the hell over it. For those I want to beat up…I want to do it with my clubs. Not on the bulletin board. If you kick my ass…so be it.
    Let’s go play golf!!!

jt foster
    Participant

Why do l play in the World Am?
    Enjoy golf
    Competitive golf
    Myrtle Beach
    Renewing acquaintances with old friends
    Meeting new friends
    Nites at the convention center
    Running the Skins games in my Flight its always fun to me !!!!!!!

Do I want to win my flight—YES!!
    Does my world change if I don’t win my flight—-NO!!
    I Don’t worry about things I cannot control, handicaps, handicap adjustments during World Am and, most of all, SANDBAGGING!!

Main thing is Playing Golf and Having a good time with all my Friends That I have meet in the past 16 Years playing in this tournament!!!!!

Jt Foster

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by jt foster.
    Mark Hancock
    Participant

Rick: Make that a Bud Light! We usually only go to the 19th Hole on Monday night and get there right at 6:00 so we can avoid most of the crowds. We will also be at the Sunday night Opening Event, which we have enjoyed more than the Convention Center.

Ken Weatherford
    Participant

In the first several times I came, I didn’t meet anyone, except out on the golf course…and of course, that is very competitive. In the last few years, I have met some people that I have played with over the years and they remember me or I remember them. I love to compete, but starting to really enjoy the company and conversations with people I get to meet.

Last year, first time in about 10 years, I met some people at the party on Sunday. That was cool, because in years past, since I am from Oklahoma, I really don’t have many other Oklahoma players I know around Oklahoma City…I have been the only player from OKC, almost every year.

I have also gotten to know Scott and a couple of the other tournament hosts and they’re great people. Finally, after about 8 years, my wife finally met someone, and now they are really good friends throughout the year. We really enjoy the entertainment in Myrtle Beach, and finding more things to do, all the time.

You guys are just a great bunch of people to be around.

Ken Weatherford
    Participant

By the way, Bill, me too. One year in the finals, and hurricane rained us out. Wish you luck this year.

Ken

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Call Us at 1-800-833-8798

HTML Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com