Home Forums The World Am Bulletin Board Skin Volunteer Update

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 92 total)
  • Author
    jt foster
    Participant

Hi Rick I will be in myrtle beach thursday before the tournament. when y’all going to get there ? my email is superpro406@yahoo.com maybe we can meet up and play 18 or so

Ken Delaney
    Participant

For the last three years Dave Tiano and I ran the skins game in Flights 5 & 6. But there is a possibility that I may be in Flight 4 this year for ride sharing purposes. If in fact I am in Flight 4, I will be more than happy to run the skins game for 3 & 4.

Cheers everyone!!

David Baker
    Participant

I have run a skin game since 1997 and no one has never not been paid whether they were there or left before everything was finalized. I have met people at the Convention Center to get them paid I even mailed one to a guy that had to leave. I always tell them that if they want to leave they will get paid the next day before teeing off. I am surprised that anyone would withhold paying someone if they left. I hope that isn’t the case. Running the skin game is a labor of love, and believe it or not, golfers aren’t the best tippers in the world. But it is fun and the guys are interesting. Only one issue in all my years. I look forward to seeing everyone as I move up to the super seniors and hope they enjoy the skin game.

Ken, we have always done it combined in flight 3 & 4 meaning one big pot. If you run it do you plan on keeping it that way? It’s been a tradition as long as I have been playing in the World Am. This will be my 16th year. Hope you keep it going!

david tiano
    Participant

Jeff,
    Re-read Kennys post as he says 3 & 4 at the end.

Raymond Lemoine
    Participant

Wow, this is a very busy topic. David flights 41 & 42 were the flights I ran last year and my hdcp is roughly the same at 15.9 – 16.2 so the same two flights around the senior 16.0 hdcp level i will run combined, which is the only sane way to run these. I’ve always ran it $15/day and preferably $60/week.

Dale Craig
    Participant

Wow, Every year it seems like the same discussions come up. I don’t care how many years someone ran a skins game, I really don’t think that gives anyone ownership of it. If someone volunteers to run it and has a clue, then that is all that matters. No one really knows if they will be honest if they don’t know them personally. To assume that you will be in the same flight or to take ownership of a flight at this point is really premature. If 2 or more people “Volunteer” let them work out who will run it. Better yet, why don’t both share in running it. This will insure integrity and make it easier for the skin game people all around. Speaking from my experience last year, I would have loved a little extra help. Now, just relax guys. I know everyone wants to play and get the WA going, but we have at least a week and a half before we get flight and course assignments. Hopefully by then we can have a new discussion thread started and then flight responsibility can be determined.

Dave, you have some guys that have different idea. Someone might assume that he is running it as skins for flight 3 and skins for flight 4 as two seperate games. Heck, I had one guy that thought I worked for the World Am when I ran it. There are guys that don’t even circle their birdies when they hand a card to you. And we can miss that birdie on the card real easy if they don’t circle it. You get guys that turn in cards with just the first name of each player on????????? And what is the plan for the tie-break on the last day? Set the rules so we all know and can enjoy one of the best week of golf we will have this year.

david tiano
    Participant

Jeff,
    You are correct in your last post. Kenny and I have been running the skins in flight 5 & 6. (One pot, both flights combined) for the past 3 years. We had no issues playing everyone the same day or the next day. We tell anyone who has a birdie that is not cut to hang around, some choose not to.

The last day we tell everyone if all birdies are cut (never happened) we will pay on all birdies. Last year we paid 4 guys $830 each, similar in two years prior.

We only score the WA score card no exceptions. I also don’t let anyone know what holes were open (no birdies) so someone might feel compelled to change their score card for hundreds of dollars.

Dale you are so right, I would not do this without help. Last year we had two friends help Kenny and I and it was great.

Raymond Lemoine
    Participant

David, that is exactly how i’ve run the skins the past 12 years in my flights. It has never happened that no one wins a skin on the last day, actually I’ve never had a carryover into the next day. However, since i prefer to take the full week in payment a rain out has moved the pot amount up from $15/day to $20/day because of the rain out. Good luck on running your game and in playing in the tourney.

david tiano
    Participant

Raymond,
    Get with the program, run it like most flights do now. Your game should be $20-$20-$20-$40. $100 for the week. That way you make someones week special.
    Last year on Thursday we paid 4 guys $830 each.

Michelle Livernois
    Participant

David Baker please email me your contact info. I’m interested in running a skins ga game for the women flights and want to tap into your experience…I have a few questions. Thanks!
    mrlivernois@aol.com

Raymond Lemoine
    Participant

In the senior flights $15 get more players into the game, i’ve found that at $20 i get half of the players that i would get at $15. Once the flights are arranged i will ask my two flights if they would rather play for your suggested fee. Thanks for the suggestion, i knew their were $20 games being played but for the 12 years i’ve run it I’ve kept the fee the same. Thanks again….

David Baker
    Participant

The skin games increase the fun of the tournament and the enjoyment of the players. Who doesn’t enjoy winning a skin? I have never had anyone turn one down. Interestingly enough I have had to tease some of my playing partners to join in only to have them win a skin. I move up an age bracket and hope that they want to have a skin game. I will volunteer to run it if not stepping on someone who ran it in previously. Everyone gets excited this time of the year which tells us that there is much enjoyment from the World Am. I look forward to seeing all my old friends and making new ones.

That’s one way to do it, David T. Provided everyone turns in their birdies it works. For those playing, don’t ever assume that your birdie was an easy hole and then not bother to turn it in. I had to pay a guy $1300 one year for that reason. It would have been a carry over pot added to the last day. I had a check list that year and I checked everyone off that was in. I only missed double checking one guy that day and I ended up having to pay the other guy the following morning. Coincidentally it ended up costing him $650 because he was one of two winners on the last day. So it cost the other guy $650 as well. They would have had $1950 a piece instead of $1300. Lesson learned.

Hopefully you guys end up in 3 & 4 with me. I’m usually around a 6 handicap every year. I’ve been in this flight just about every year I’ve played. I still liked it best when it was one big flight of 112 or more and they gave gift cards to the top 10. I was only in flight 1 one year as a 5.3, last guy on the cut line in 2008. 3 & 4 would have been old flight 2. Hopefully Ken D. and friends step up to run it this year. Like I said. I can’t read without readers right now. And some guys you won’t be able to read even with perfect vision. See you guys in about 2 weeks! Looking forward to it!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 92 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Call Us at 1-800-833-8798

HTML Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com