Home Forums The World Am Bulletin Board 1st timer and question about skins games etc,,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    David Bey
    Participant

First time playing WA and was wondering who to contact for skins game once flights are set? Do we pay cash, credit, or Venmo? How do we track who wins the skins? What time do we need to arrive at the course in the morning to pay for the skins, hit some balls, and figure out which hole we are starting on?
    I don’t have any expectations for this year as far as winning or placing well in my flight. Just working on my short game and preparing for golf in the heat of August.

Mike Sigmon
    Participant

Hey David,
    Most of the guys running the skins games are there at the course early and getting names of anyone in the flights wanting to play…Also most like to collect on Monday morning for the week as they like to be able to hit some balls and putt a few also…

In our flight they play 20-20-20-40 That breaks down to 20 on Monday per player, 20 on Tue., 20 Wed. and 40 on Thurs. or 100 for the week..

To see who wins you can hang around at the end or find out the next morning from the person who is running your game…

I’m sure each flight does it about the same but if you get to the course early enough to hit some balls and putts I’m sure you will have no problem finding the person or person’s taking care of your game..
    As to where you tee off and time that info will be in your check in packet you pick up from the PGA Superstore for each day unless they decide to do the last DAY by flight scores….

BL Oliver
    Participant

This is a simple answer. Depending on your flight the cost is usually $100.00 for the week. $20.00 for Min thru Wed. Double on Thursday. Skins are checked at the end of the round. Lone birdies or eagles or whatever, are paid either then or the next day. They will take cash only and ask that you pay for the week in Monday. Your starting hole and courses will be in the documents you get when checking in. If you have ranges it is best to get there at least an hour & 1/2 before to warm up and putt. Remember there are 2 flights on each course every day and it will be busy.

Raymond Abernathy
    Participant

David,
    Mike is correct. 99% of the guys running the skins games do a fantastic job. They spend long hours running the game so those who choose to can play in it and enjoy themselves. I recommend thanking whoever ends up running the game in your flight for the time and effort they put in.
    There is the other 1% however. RUN away from ANY game that says text me a picture of your scorecard and I’ll call you after 6pm to let you know if you won anything. In the past, a 1% guy, paid people that did not win skins, and said he never received a picture of the scorecard of players that really did have skins.
    Enjoy the World Am, and hopefully you are in a flight with one of the 99% guys running the game.

Tom McCain
    Participant

Welcome David!
    This will be a wonderful experience for you. I’ve played since 2005 except for the China flu year and have always had a great time, especially when I win a skin.
    I’ve run skins for several years. It’s always a gross skin, and I collect daily. 40×100= too much cash for me to keep up with, especially if something happened to me.
    A few tips as a first timer: bring an extra pair of shoes if you have them. You may play in the rain. So have rain gear and gloves. Have fun! This can be a yearly experience as you meet other guys and make new friends. My late friend Lou was a guy I met early on, and we hit it off. To the point that after he moved to MB, he opened his home to me for over 10 years. No charge, here’s your door key, beers in the fridge. Sadly, he passed 2 years ago, and I still miss my friend. Yet I’ve made a bunch of friends thru this event and we look forward to seeing each other every year. I have another friend that retired there and he and his wife open their home to me often to visit from NC.
    Ok, see you there. Go to the convention center and play Eva in pool. She’s a sweetheart and I’ll be there donating my $20!

JACK BENNETT
    Participant

David,

One thing to keep in mind is that your skin entry has you competing against those in your flight AND the other flight playing your course. If your flight is the lower handicap group you are at an advantage. If your flight is the higher handicap group you are at a disadvantage. Last year the winner in my flight (43) received an average of 4 handicap strokes each round. The winner of flight 42 received an average of 0 handicap strokes each round. Both flights 42 and 43 were competing in the same skins pool.

Ed Guertin
    Participant

Hi Dave, first welcome to the World AM, I’m sure you will love it! As previously stated here your skins will be against 2 flights. Just about all guys who run the skins pools are fantastic folks who are taking a good part of their day to make it exciting for all of us! So, if you do hit a skin, etiquette is to tip the guy running it, most don’t expect it but they sure do appreciate it!
    The downside to some flights was the fact that no one ran the pool, happened in my flight 2 years in a row. The last couple of years it was mostly due to tee times, we are now back to shotguns so I hope that helps? I’ll have to wait and see…
    Ohhhh, NEVER get in a skins pool where the guy running it is not playing, just collecting the $$$, you’ll never see him again…
    Enjoy and play well!

ROBERT PETERSON
    Participant

I’m curious to find out what happened with the guy they put on the wanted posters last year from a pro shop. And also what he did to warrant a free entry into the tournament as a reward if you caught him.

Tom McCain
    Participant

I’ve split flights in the past if the handicap disparity was too great. It’s a bigger pain but guys then will have a shot at it. It only takes one good shot to make the skins game profitable! And yes, tips are appreciated. It’s a lot of work to keep up with the scores and insuring that everyone knows about the game. My late friend Lou said I spent too much time on skins yet I enjoyed meeting all the players.

David Bey
    Participant

Thanks for the advice, I wasn’t aware that 2 flights were competing for the same skins pool and the possible disparity in strokes given. Countdown is down to one month – looking forward to the competition and the experience.

Chandler Wells
    Participant

David,
    1st off welcome to the World Am…I personally have run the skins in Flights 10 & 11 the past 2 years and 5-6 the previous 2 years, and I’m positive all those fellas would tell you I run a tight game. All of the previous replies are correct! There are always two very similar handicapped flights at each venue daily, and 20-20-20-40 for the 4 days is typical. YES, it is much easier to pay all at once Monday a.m., and I am always there early that day because of it. Just easier to collect and track instead of beyond tracked down and paid daily. I like to mingle and maybe putt or hit some balls, not collect new entries every day.

I always stick around in the clubhouse until all cards are recorded/seen and if guys are there they get paid on the spot. If not, in an envelope 1st thing in the morning next day! I also keep a daily log of skins, who won and how much in case someone has a question about a previous day.

Advice…Definitely enter because one great shot can pay for your entry with a nice skin! Always make sure to show the skins guys your tourney scorecard prior to turning it in to the Pro Shop, non-tourney cards ARE NOT ACCEPTED! I personally do not expect any gratuity or tip, but certainly does make it nice when guys buy me an ice cold Miller Lite or throw a bone! Unlike a guy 2 years ago that won the only skin for the day $1,680 and not only didn’t tip, but didn’t even offer a beer or a reach around! LOL…Most skins guys run 2 flights together and some split them. Either way, it’s worth the shot at getting paid off for a great shot!

Again, welcome to the WA, and most importantly make some friends and have a good time!

Chandler

David Bey
    Participant

Chandler,
    Thanks for your reply and for running the skins games. I certainly won’t be in Flight 10-11 this year, but I still look forward to the WA experience. Yes, it would be nice also to walk home with a huge skin like you mentioned. If you were to win a skin, are you required to tell your wife? Asking for a friend. Best of luck in this year’s WA.

Chandler Wells
    Participant

What happens on the course and in the Clubhouse, stays there! LOL

Joe Kalil
    Participant

Well you kind of ruined that when you told everyone you were looking for a “reach around” from the guy who won a skin!

Chandler Wells
    Participant

Come on statey…You were there that day and the dude scattered like a cockroach in seconds! HAHA I wasn’t looking for anything, but he surely didn’t offer! 😂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Call Us at 1-800-833-8798

HTML Snippets Powered By : XYZScripts.com